About Me

MAKEUP BY SHERRY BLOSSOM
Welcome to my blog and thank you for visiting! I'm a budding freelance makeup artist and makeup/beauty blogger! I reside in New York where I was born and raised. I love this place! I'm young, vibrant and creative! Please I encourage you to follow my blog, leave comments, ask questions or even browse. I look forward to hearing from you!
View my complete profile

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BLOSSOMING INTERVIEW: Up Close & Personal With Your Favorite Guru: MakeupbyCandie


Hey Blossoms,

We all have watched Youtube videos at some point in time. If you love makeup you've probably watched more than your average person considering all the available videos on makeup. Whether product review, swatches, or tutorials it's available free to everyone on Youtube. There are a handful that's widely known and we refer to them as Youtube Gurus. One of my favorites, who you may remember from my past blog post "Women of Color CAN wear blue eyeshadow" is: MAKEUPBYCANDIE.







AND HERE SHE IS...






1) I'm sure you get asked a lot if your real name is Candie? So I won't badger you with that! BUT we do want to know what eyeshadow combinations do you think of  for each when you hear the following candy names.. M&M's? Skittles? Lemonheads?
  • People don't even call me that in real life lol. People just started calling me that since "Candie" is in my YouTube name. I actually prefer to be called Candace. 
  • M&M's-blue, yellow, and brown
  • Skittles-red, orange, and yellow
  • Lemonheads-white and yellow

2) You have beauty counter experience working for M.A.C.? Is there anything you've learned thus far that you believe ONLY working at a cosmetic counter can teach you? Why do you believe that?
  • Working at a counter will give you hands on experience with face shapes, eye shapes, skin types, etc. Anyone can put makeup on themselves on YouTube, but in the makeup world, being able to apply those techniques to others is crucial. 

3) Any tips for managing a full time school schedule, freelancing as a makeup artist and holding down a job? How do you manage?
  • I multitask. I have 3 part time jobs and I'm a full-time college student. I like to sneak in notecards here and there while I'm on the clock at my jobs, that way, I can keep up with all my classes while still getting paid. As dangerous as it may sound, I also study notecards while driving. Depending on what I'm studying for, I'll also make up songs and learn them.

4) What are your 3 favorite matte eyeshadows, 3 favorite shimmer shadows , 3 favorite lipsticks & 3 favorite blushes (from any brand)? 
  • 3 matte - MUFE #99, MUFE #75, and MAC Orange
  • 3 shimmer - Glamour Doll Eyes Pistol Pistol, MAC Ricepaper, and MAC Bio-Green
  • 3 lipsticks - MAC Electro, MAC Up the Amp, and MAC Peachstock
  • 3 blushes - NARS Gina, NARS Taj Mahal, and MAC Stark Naked 

5) You do NOT wear foundation yourself. How do you respond when a client/customer asks you "why not"? Do you think your not wearing foundation makes some people question your makeup artistry abilities when it comes to choosing/applying foundations?
  • I always give customers my personal opinion on whether or not I think they need foundation. Contrary to popular belief, many women wear foundation unnecessarily. I understand if there's something on your face that you need to conceal, but a fresh face with basically nothing to cover needs no foundation. I've also noticed that it ages your skin terribly if worn on a daily basis. Some of my classmates have wrinkles already and I'm only 21. I personally prefer my own skin than foundation. My favorites are NARS Sheer Glow and MAC Mineralize Satinfinish. Both of them are collecting dust in my makeup drawer though lol. My mom is also the same way. She doesn't like foundation either and she still looks like she's in her 30s instead of 90.


6) How did you become a Youtube Makeup Guru? how long did it take you to reach the level your on now? Any tips for making Youtube Partner?
  • I wouldn't consider myself a guru, but I just started making videos at random. It took me a year and a half to make YouTube partner. It definitely doesn't happen overnight. I would say to just post a ton of relevant video responses, entertain your audience, don't lie, don't be conceited, and respond to people. Interacting with your subscribers on social media will also draw attention to you. Also, post tutorials more than reviews. No one wants to see informercials ALL the time. Oh and one more thing...FOR REAL lol...post tutorials on what YOU like. Do not let your subscribers tell you what to do on your channel. Of course, be open to suggestions, but if they see they can run your channel, it's pretty easy to assume that companies will sway them into lying in their videos too.

7) What is your skin type? What do you believe are the best products for skin care for your skin type?
  • Really dry/sensitive - I use Clean & Clear Morning Burst Facial Cleanser, then Fix +, then MAC Comfort Cream or MAC Studio Moisture Cream. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer is also a great alternative for my skin.

8) Who were your makeup influences? Did you watch any other youtube gurus when you first started out? follow any blog? or study the work of any celebrity makeup artists?

      Hopefully no one gets offended, BUT I'm just being honest here...my opinions of course :)
  • MakeupByRenRen - I still watch her, but she's a lot different than a couple of years ago. I like the "bright and neon tutorial" Ren lol.
  • angeec03 - Another person who has changed. Same as above.
  • xsparkage - Still love her. She does looks that I love.
  • julieg713 - She's like one of my top 5 favorites...maybe THE favorite. She still does looks that I love and has not changed a bit. 

9) What are your top 3 biggest makeup pet-peeves?
  • un-tweezed eyebrows in makeup tutorials, blowing on makeup brushes, using lipstick as eye shadow primer...WTH?! lol 

10) The nydailynews.com reports the UK cosmetic store, Superdrug conducted a survey and results show the average woman spends $180 every year on cosmetics for a whopping $13,000 in her lifetime and the average woman shops 5 times a year for new makeup? According to that study, are you average? below average? or above average? Do you set yourself any "makeup budgets"? Why or why not?
  • 2009 and 2010 - WAY above average
  • 2011 - below average
  • Right now, I am on a serious budget since I'm moving out-of-state for graduate school next year. I have enough makeup at this point. I'm just adding in things that stand out to me.




 DID YOU KNOW? 
  • I like my popcorn burnt.
  • I can sing.
  • My favorite color is orange.
  • I hate seafood.
  • I am a tomboy.
  • I wear makeup once a week.
  • I played basketball and ran track and cross country in high school.
  • I don't like conceited people.
  • Louisiana sucks.
  • I love Calculus and Spanish.
  • I went to an acting and modeling school for a year.
  • Saying "excuse me" when burping is pointless.
  • I'm addicted to loaded baked potatoes...without meat.
  • The only meats I eat are chicken and fish.
  • Spelling errors annoy me. 
  • I don't attend parties with too many people; I do live in one of the US's most dangerous cities lol.
  • Britney Spears is my favorite singer.
  • I believe the Illuminati exists. 
  • Oh and if you can't tell, I'm random :) 

I completely concur with her last "did you know" because I watch her Youtube videos and follow her on Twitter and randomness is definitely a part of her. Its awesome when someone is not afraid to be themselves even if some of their beliefs are controversial or not shared by others. Her videos are always straight to the point and I surely don't mind the tangents she goes on. An entertaining personality is a win to me. This interview was honest, real and purely all MAKEUPBYCANDIE. Thanks for sharing!

Until Next Time,

Later Blossoms!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Wonders why she thinks Louisiana sucks?? Interesting question though.

kimmydadiva said...

I love Candace, she is random on Twitter but always makes u laugh...lol!! She is superb when it come to makeup application and I like that she loves bold colors in her use of makeup.
Btw I do agree with her on some of the YT gurus mentioned have changed.

MAKEUP BY SHERRY BLOSSOM said...

@Kimmy Her use of bold colors are refreshing. I love color!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LINKEDWITHIN

DISCLAIMER

All products are purchased with my own money. If any products are endorsed, sponsored or given free for review it will be mentioned in the blog posting.

I do not accept payment, prizes, credit, endorsements or sponsorships in exchange for mention on this blog. I uphold integrity and honesty to provide all my readers with my honest opinion of products actually tried whether liked or disliked.

This entire blog is my opinion. Please consult with a doctor before trying any recommended products if you suffer from any thing that may counter-indicate the products use.

Sherry Blossom Beauty is the sole owner of this domain and all photos. Some photos are supplied via Goggle image and its stated in the post. Please be sure to credit this website for any photos or links used from this website.

Comments are the opinion of poster & publishing of all/any comments is in no way an endorsement by Sherry Blossom Beauty...

I LOVE THIS PLACE FOR GREAT MAKEUP @ AFFORDABLE PRICES!

About

Popular Posts

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India